Shared block device

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 14:08:05 CDT 2007

I am trying to make it so that the two servers each have their own copy,
synced over a gigabit crossover cable or other independent connection.  So
if either server failed, the other could handle all the clients when they
reconnected. But both servers have to allow writes and updates to files, and
have to synchronise those writes quickly to the other server.  In windows, I
wrote a .net app using a filesystemwatcher to do this.  It was a pain though
because windows cried wolf with its filesystem alteration notifications
alot.

I just figured something like that had been done in Linux before.  I plan to
share to the clients with samba.  Synchronizing at the filesystem layer
should suffice, providing that file locks from the clients can not interfere
with synchronization between servers.  The problem is that if
synchronization takes place at the filesystem layer, then one client's lock
on a file could happen concurrently with another client's on the same file
because locking info wouldn't be synced.  From what I gathered, I would have
to use a shared block device, and a journaling filesystem to solve that
problem.