Speeding up a machine

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Mar 11 12:09:09 CDT 2007

It could actually be that you have so much hardware it's slowing things down!
I have an AMD Athalon 2500 at 1800MHz, 512M RAM, and a 7200RPM ATA drive.
Firefox loads in 2-3 seconds, ooffice in ~8.  Not sure of my boot time, not
going to reboot now just to check.

You might looking into doing some sort of suspend-to-disk if you want faster
startups, but changing distros will probably give you the best speed-up for
the least cost and effort.  Fedora is not a high-performance platform, it's a
robust, easy-for-users, works-with-almost-anything approach that includes
several different types of kitchen sink.

Mandriva was originally forked off of RedHat to provide a speed-optimized
version of the distro, and that's what I'm running here.  Being RH derived,
you'll find it very familiar.  Gnome is available, although KDE is the
default.  Many third-party programs are available, version upgrades work
pretty well, and applications are frequently back-ported to existing
releases.  Any GUI based package manager is going to be a system hog, but the
console based urpmi package management system is excellent (you MUST get good
mirrors though).

Ubuntu is the obvious choice.  "Everybody's" using it, and they are working on
an optimized parallel boot system.

One choice that might help - try installing lilo instead of grub.  I think
it's faster, but I like it better anyway.

As always, your mileage will probably vary.