Shared block device

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 12:55:47 CST 2007

Anyone know of a way to share a block device like Raid-1 across multiple
machines?  I want to get two machines to share files to the same group of
clients for R/W access and have changes replicated between the two machines,
so they'd be effective immediately for the other clients.  A month ago, I
googled, and found a wiki of a bunch of different systems but they each had
some fault.  Some could only be written to from one place.  The comparison
section of the page left me ultimately thinking the only things that did
what i wanted were GoogleFS (NOT public) and a couple others that were
really expensive.

I don't even so much care that the block device is whats replicated, but
trying to replicate a file system on demand like that I'm guessing is not
possible for locking reasons.  (Two people from different servers could lock
the same file in the same place and make changes to it.  Has anyone here
done anything like this before?