Proliant 3000 Server

RtX riverty at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 11:23:49 CST 2007

Kyle,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The answer is no. Or possibly it is hidden? On boot, there is nothing that
suggests that I could get into a SCSI controller BIOS. I have restored the
"utilities partition", a ~38 MB partition on disk 0 that holds the programs
needed to program the system BIOS for things like time and date, PCI cards
and the like. Nothing in there would allow me to setup an array. I can
access this by pressing "F10" as usual on a Compaq.

The machine has a Symbios Logic 53C876 SCSI Controller onboard. Someone
suggested in a post I found on the net that this controller was a SCSI
controller, but did not support RAID. While I'm sure this is possible, I
would think it unlikely that the machine has 7 SCSI HDD's and does not
support RAID.

On 3/10/07, Kyle Sexton <ks at mocker.org> wrote:

> On 3/10/07, RtX <riverty at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 Server. It is a dual Pentium II 400 with 7
> > SCSI drives. I am trying to get this server setup with some flavor of Linux
> > (I haven't decided which yet) but am having trouble setting up the disk
> > array. Maybe I'm really off base but I'm going off of other setups where I
> > would configure the RAID array before installing the OS.
> >
> > I have downloaded and created the Compaq SmartStart 5.5 CD and seems to
> > boot and do what it's supposed to do. However, when I try to run the Array
> > Configuration Utility, it bombs.
> >
> > I have tried to run this utility from the CD. It requests that I put the
> > ACU disk into drive A, then states that it will reboot the system to boot
> > off of this floppy. OK. Reboot and I get non-system disk everytime. I have
> > created the disks (2 total) 3 or 4 times to no avail. These disks are simply
> > not bootable. The option to run the ACU from the system partition is not an
> > option.
> >
> > So I'm left with either I have a bunch of bad floppies, a broken system,
> > or I just don't understand what I'm doing. I guess it's possible that one
> > HAS to create the array after the installation of an OS. Could this be? Am I
> > supposed to create the array AFTER OS installation? Am I missing a step?
> >
> > --
> > RtX...
> >
> > Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.
> > riverty at gmail.com
> >

> Do you know what type of RAID controller is in the server?  Does it give
> you an option on boot (w/o the CD) to enter the controller's BIOS?
>
> --
> Kyle Sexton

RtX...

Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.