Proliant 3000 Server

RtX riverty at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:02:42 CST 2007

I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 Server. It is a dual Pentium II 400 with 7
SCSI drives. I am trying to get this server setup with some flavor of Linux
(I haven't decided which yet) but am having trouble setting up the disk
array. Maybe I'm really off base but I'm going off of other setups where I
would configure the RAID array before installing the OS.

I have downloaded and created the Compaq SmartStart 5.5 CD and seems to boot
and do what it's supposed to do. However, when I try to run the Array
Configuration Utility, it bombs.

I have tried to run this utility from the CD. It requests that I put the ACU
disk into drive A, then states that it will reboot the system to boot off of
this floppy. OK. Reboot and I get non-system disk everytime. I have created
the disks (2 total) 3 or 4 times to no avail. These disks are simply not
bootable. The option to run the ACU from the system partition is not an
option.

So I'm left with either I have a bunch of bad floppies, a broken system, or
I just don't understand what I'm doing. I guess it's possible that one HAS
to create the array after the installation of an OS. Could this be? Am I
supposed to create the array AFTER OS installation? Am I missing a step?

--
RtX...

Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.
riverty at gmail.com