Speeding up a machine

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:40:30 CST 2007

On 3/10/07, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fedora Core 6
> I've had the laptop for 2 weeks
> I'm using ext3, but as I understand, journaling is optional, and I don't
> know how to check to see if its on.
> I can tell you that watching it boot, I don't see any consistency checks
> going on.
> By init scripts, I assume chkconfig is one way to check/configure those?  I
> haven't yet developed my leet Linux ninja abilities to the point where I'm
> comfortable trolling around the init directories.  I have, however pruned
> things with chkconfig and gnome's graphical service editor.
> I'm looking up that preemptible thing right now...
>
> Thanks for your help!
> -Billy

There's no need to go through those directories if you don't want to.
Use the Service configuration tool:

run `system-config-services` or look for the shortcut, usually named
"Services" in your menu.

You can turn on/off services and start/stop services. Usually, each
service has a brief description of what it does.

More to your question, I believe there's some work being done toward
speedier booting in Fedora, my memory is short on the details however.

Peace

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud