FC4 and tzdata

Hal Duston hald at kc.rr.com
Thu Mar 8 23:17:35 CST 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 06:52:12PM -0600, Monty J. Harder wrote:

> I grabbed that file and looked at it.  The 'northamerica' file defines
> CST6CDT in terms of the 'US' rule, and defines America/Chicago in
> terms of the 'Chicago' rule and the 'US' rule.  I see the same thing
> with NYC rules to flesh out the America/New_York timezone. That's just
> stupid.  There's no good reason for there to be separate rules for
> each timezone governed by the same law.

Note the bit at the top of the Chicago section.

"US central time, represented by Chicago".

I read that to mean that these rules are not specific to Chicago, but
rather all of CST.

Likewise "US eastern time, represented by New York"

So, I read the US rules as setting the national standard, and then
the more regional rules to set the individual timezones before they
to were conformed universally to a national standard.