FC4 and tzdata

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 18:52:12 CST 2007

On 3/8/07, Hal Duston <hald at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> > > CST6CDT has a few historical gaps. 1920-1941,1943,1944,1946-1967 are missing.
> > > America/Chicago is only missing 1943 and 1944.

I grabbed that file and looked at it.  The 'northamerica' file defines
CST6CDT in terms of the 'US' rule, and defines America/Chicago in
terms of the 'Chicago' rule and the 'US' rule.  I see the same thing
with NYC rules to flesh out the America/New_York timezone. That's just
stupid.  There's no good reason for there to be separate rules for
each timezone governed by the same law.

There should be a basic US ruleset that covers the whole country, then
timezones like New_York, Chicago, Denver, Los_Angeles, Anchorage,
Honolulu; with the various Alaska zones, Indianapolis, Indiana/*, and
other subdivisions of purely historical significance.