Newbie Command Line Tutorial

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Thu Mar 8 12:31:18 CST 2007

Depending on how basic you want, there is some decent stuff at
http://www.hackerhighschool.org

That site is controlled by ISECOM, the same group that puts out the Open
Source Software Testing Methodologies Manual (OSSTMM) and
certifications. The hacker-highschool is designed to educate teenagers
about computer security, and while it is a boring read for any
experienced Linux user, it is great for newbs. One chapter is dedicated
to "Basic Commands in Linux and Windows," and it illustrates the basics
and compares the common commands available in both OSes.

I recommend going through all of the hacker-highschool materials for
newbs. This is mainly because a newb has no (or very little) concept of
what computer security is, and these concepts are more important than
knowing common commands. This info gives people a good primer without
converting a new-Linux-user into an ex-Linux-user-with-a-headache. And
understanding both Windows and Linux is helpful for people that switch
back-n-forth between OSes because of work and/or school.

~Bradley