FC4 and tzdata

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 16:09:18 CST 2007

First post to the list here. I've been using Linux for about a year now.
I've often wondered why we have to select a LOCATION at all.  Most people
bright enough to be installing  an operating system also probably understand
what CDT and CST are.  I would prefer a GMT offset, and choice of DST
schemas.  Further, does anyone know of a project to auto-determine current
location by ip-geolocation, say of the first public IP when tracerouting
some known-public host.  This would be most convenient to those of us who
travel.  Also, is there any way in Linux to set the system default date
format.  Gnome is defaulting to a pretty format, but I'd rather dddd
yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.  I looked around, but its a hard thing to google, and
no setting I could find took that effect.