FC4 and tzdata

Jon Moss mossjon at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 14:28:47 CST 2007

Since I've been up to my eyeballs in Microsoft DST
issues at work, I thought I'd take a breather and make
sure that my Linux servers were okay with the upcoming
change.  I was pleased to note that my oldest server
(running FC2) was fine.

My newer server, running FC4, had a problem.  After
reviewing many different blogs and postings, I thought
I had it figured out but now I've completely messed up
the Central Time Zone files in
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America such that I no longer have
data for the Central Time Zone.  :)

I've set the server to use America/New_York (copied it
over /etc/localtime) so I'm at least running in the
Easter Time Zone.

I would like to re-install or re-update the tzdata RPM
package, but it won't let me because it's already
installed (and I can't uninstall it because glibc
depends on it).  How can I force it to re-install?

Also, since the Fedoral Legacy Project has shutdown my
yum no longer functions or doesn't have a repository
it can access.  Any ideas on how I can get connected
to one of the mirrors?

Thanks a bunch,

Jon Moss