Where to put user written program

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 14:55:13 CDT 2007

> >> I've written a Perl program to
> >> parse my /var/log/messages file and place certain data into a mySQL
> >> database.

> I agree, any script that I write the performs a system function and is
> not part of the provisioning system usually goes in /root/bin

Seriously, the more secure approach as I understand it is to create
a special-purpose user and have the process run by that user.  For
clarity's sake, the script would then live somewhere like

     /home/Logcooker/bin

(I capitalize fake users, to avoid confusion in case I have to give
a user account on this machine to someone strongly identified
with their hobby as an amateur paper miller.)

--
Never give an order that can't be obeyed.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/douglas_macarthur.html