OT: Mac OS X and USB Boot

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 16:54:35 CDT 2007

On 7/18/07, djgoku <djgoku at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/06/usbharddrives/index.php

> Seems that if you have a copy of super duper you can create an image
> that you are able to boot from USB hard drive. It just doesn't work
> other wise it seems. If you noticed the apple link that USB drives
> aren't even supported for PPC platform either (Documentation creation
> was Sept. 2001).

It depends highly on the particular model and generation of Mac in
question.  My old G3 iBook can boot from USB, I know as I've done it
before.  I've never tried my G4 mini from USB, but it does boot from
FireWire, of course.  IIRC the main issue to have a USB bootable Mac
is if it has dual USB buses or not.

I'm just glad they finally got FireWire booting working for Linux on
PPC.  I haven't had a chance to play with it, but it was the main
thing keeping me from running Linux on my external drive with my mini.

Jon.