Ubuntu: How do you change default runlevels without inittab?

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 18:08:50 CDT 2007

One way to do this is to go to the appropriate
/etc/rc?.d directory and change the S to a K
for the starting of X script. As Jonathon has noted in

"modern" debian based distros runlevel 2-5 are
identical "out of the box". I believe that it
defaults to runlevel 2. So I'm surprised that you're
actually in runlevel 5. Are you sure of this?
While my method won't change your runlevel, you can
use
it to prevent X from launching in your default
runlevel. Which is what I think you're really wanting
to accomplish anyway.

Brian