sound some places not others

Lowell lowell at kc.rr.com
Fri Jul 13 12:40:26 CDT 2007

Folks:
       I've just installed Mandrakelinux 10.2 3.4.3-3mdk on my IBM
Thinkpad t30, and put the following lines in /etc/modules.conf:

alias sound opl3sa2
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options opl3sa2 mss_io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1 mpu_io=0x300 io=0x120

Now Totem Media Player will play some sounds nice and loud but won't
make a peep while playing a QuickTime movie (.mov) for example. Wonder why?
Also in Netscape 7.1 (I wanted the suite with the mail client, this is
the latest one that has it) Youtube shows the pictures nicely, but no
sounds... I installed this file:

npcxplugin.npwmsdrm.so*

in /usr/local/netscape/plugins to no avail...

Anybody have any suggestions apart from "Get a real  (pick one:) a.)
distro  b.) browser  c.) computer  d.) life."