Ubuntu: How do you change default runlevels without inittab?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 05:19:39 CDT 2007

I've just installed Xubuntu on an older computer.  I
want the option of running the GUI some of the time
(such as for the Synaptic Package Manager), but I want
to boot into text mode all of the time and run startx
when needed.

So I go to edit /etc/inittab and change the default
runlevel so that the GUI doesn't start on boot, except
there is no inittab.  Instead, there's this entirely
new thing called "Upstart".

I've been on the Upstart pages and on the Ubuntu
forums.  Everyone is fawning over the new Upstart and
how great it is going to be, but no one is saying how
you can get rid of the GUI login in Upstart.

All I want to do is change "id:5:initdefault:" to
"id:3:initdefault:", but I can't find anything on the
Upstart pages to let me know how to do that in
Upstart.   Before you ask, I have read everything in
/etc/event.d, and I still don't understand any of the
scripts.

People have said that Upstart will yield to a
/etc/inittab you create yourself, but I can't find any
information on copying the information out of Upstart
and changing it to make a homemade /etc/inittab.  I'm
a little worried about an /etc/inittab with a single
line, if Upstart is going to rely entirely on the /etc/inittab.