Kclug Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8

gary hildebrand wa7kkp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 15:31:21 CDT 2007

On 7/5/07, kclug-request at kclug.org <kclug-request at kclug.org> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:31:16 -0500
> From: Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org>
> Subject: Re: Web services "in" the KC area.
> To: kclug at kclug.org

I've had phone service here for 17 years from Bell, now AT&t (again).  I've
> called them once, to find out when they'd have the lines back up from the
> big
> ice storm.  There may be things I don't like about them, but service
> availability ain't one of 'em.  I laugh at the cable guys every time they
> try
> to sell me phone service.

There are good and bad things about Ma Bell, and they have always had the
supercillious business attitude with their customers.  In my case:

Charged almost a dollar a minute for a phone call to Vancouver, BC, and
charging $0.75 per call to their 800 "customer service" line SEVERAL times.

Overcharging a cellphone customer $1500 in one month . . . (girlfriend)

Bait and switch practices on cellphone plans.

I'm sure there are others.  YMMV.  I just avoid them whenever and wherever
possible.  Just expect less and less, and pay more and more for nothing.

Gary Hildebrand
ST. Joseph, MO