Political Blather

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Jan 24 09:46:43 CST 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 09:10, Phil Thayer wrote:
> > > Wrong.  Any computer that performs a task contains some kind of code.
> >
> > But MP3 is a compression format, not a computer.
>
> So MP3 is a compression format that uncompresses and plays itself with
> no assistance from anything else?  What do you think is doing the actual
> task of playing the compressed music.

MP3 is a compression format, plain and simple. It's dumb, it can't hold code.

> > MP3s don't play on their own, you need an audio player with the proper
> > codec to play them...
>
> Now your just starting to see the light.  What runs and executes that
> codec?

No, I already had it-- you're the one claiming the MP3 plays itself.

> The manufacturer takes care of whatever licensing issues are involved.

The licensing requires that the manufacturer include a source code CD with the
car, or include a 2 year offer for the source code. Which is it?

> > > microwave, dishwasher (not the kids), digital alarm clock,
> >
> > If any of these are Linux-based, I certainly didn't get the mandatory
> > source code or offer...
>
> The manufacturer takes care of whatever licensing issues are involved.

The licensing requires that the manufacturer include a source code CD with the
appliance, or include a 2 year offer for the source code. I didn't get it.

> > > Think about all the things in your house that are performing automated
> > > tasks that were not there 30-40 years ago.  Almost all of them have some
> > > type of embedded OS and most of them are using a derivative of Linux
> > > now.
> >
> > I've never heard of someone's dishwasher, alarm clock, or such coming with
> > a source code offer, let alone CD with the code or printout of the GPL.
> > Unless they're violating the GPL left and right, I doubt many, if any, of
> > these run Linux.
>
> The manufacturer takes care of whatever licensing issues are involved.

Obviously not.