Political Blather

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 22:27:38 CST 2007

On 1/23/07, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> Yeah, you've got a lot of RAM in your "low end" box. Over 32 MB for mere
> browsing is really overkill.

When did I write low-end?  I thought it was "Way overkill for DSL."
It does work in 32MB with Dillo, as it boots in just over 30MB.  If
you have a harddrive with swap space available the 32MB won't feel as
tight.  Anyway, if your goal is to browse in 32MB it is possible.
Doing something more useful, like use GMail in the standard mode needs
a modern browser and that can be done in 64MB.  If a machine doesn't
have 64MB Surplus Exchange will sell a 64MB stick of PC-100 RAM for
$5.  Heck, I've bought entire functioning laptops with more RAM from
there for $5.  Life on 32MB is possible, but it's so easy to get to a
useful state with a modern broswer it's almst like making a big deal
about not being able to browse on 8MB of RAM 5 years ago. :)

Jon.