Political Blather

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 21:51:13 CST 2007

On 1/23/07, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 12:08, David Nicol wrote:
> > Hmm.  network drivers plus X plus lwm and instead of giving any kind
> > of log-in the system just starts firefox?
>
> Ugh, what happened to the LOW-END requirement? Firefox eats memory and CPU.

Experiment for this evening:
Download current DSL 3.2 ISO and burn to a CD.  Boot my Linux
workstation with it.  It's a P4 HT 2.8Ghz machine with 512MB RAM.  Way
overkill for DSL.  It boots fairly quickly on the 2.4.26 kernel from
the CD, the longest part was waiting for USB probing.  I bumped the
default choice of 1024x768 to 1280x1024 to fit my display, and now I'm
browsing with Firefox 1.0.6.  So far I have yet to break 64MB of RAM
in use, and no swap use.  I may try adding on a more updated FF module
and seeing how RAM useage changes.  So far, other than CPU speed and
screen size capability, this should be easy to run on my old P2 300
laptop, with just 128MB RAM.  I'd have a lot of head room for bigger
apps.  Dillo starts at boot up, and that was around 30-ish MB of RAM
use.

Jon.