Political Blather

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Jan 23 12:25:49 CST 2007

 You want "damn smaller", again look to DamnSmall, but with a twist.  A
guy saw a need for EXACTLY what you are talking about and he tweaked
DamnSmall with a user-created extension.  First he created a
booth-0.3.7.dsl that turns a DSL boot disk with this extension added
into an Internet kiosk.  Then he went further and created a website to
distribute it, and built the fully integrated KioskCD, based on DSL.
Then he went even further to build a tool to let you customize it.
http://www.kioskcd.com/   It works great, boots directly to Firefox,
locks the desktop out, won't let you make changes, no chance for
viruses, restarts the desktop in 60 minutes, includes Flash and Java or
can come without it.   Maybe THAT will be to your liking?
I would like to update KioskCD to a newer version of DSL soon to support
more network cards, wireless cards and possibly the new Flash 9 for
Linux.  I'm going to poke around more on the forums since the holidays
have passed.

There has also been a remaster of this one to make a disaster relief
kiosk called EZwebPC, but it is not as cool for our uses.  It has a
default homepage to some Red Cross pages and pages to apply for relief
funds, but you might like that it has favorites saved for all major
webmail sites.  In a few minutes I had customized KioskCD to do this and
better.

Oh yeah, I HAVE mentioned this to you before.