Distros

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jan 5 19:25:59 CST 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 02:21, Bradley Hook wrote:

> What distros have you tried in the last year or two? In 10 words or less
> describe why you did or did not like them.

I've run RedHat, mostly in console mode, from 2.1 through FC4.  Lots of good
points, but due to them dropping support for their legacy releases for the
second time I'm probably not going back.  I have two servers I still support
remotely, migrated one off to Mandriva last month.

I've also run Mandriva, mostly for my desktop, since a fairly early version.
Actually, since I corrupted my RedHat system by trying to install the more
current Madrake packages on it.  I think it's one of the best desktops
available today, much better than Fedora, for reasons I've been discussing.

About four years ago, I upgraded my hardware so I could actually get work done
under an Xwindows session, and have been glad to work almost exclusively in
Linux since then.

I diverged into SuSE for a while because I had unreasonable expectations about
what Novell would do for them.  I never did like Novell, and they proved true
to form.

I manage a Gentoo firewall and a samba PDC fileserver for a small office for
about the last four years.  Don't like it.  See other discussion.

I recently migrated the former Gentoo workstation to Kubuntu, and now it does
what I want it to do, including play streaming audio while I work, which was
constantly failing in gentoo.  I like the ubuntu systems, but don't know the
apt/deb package management as well as I know RPM.  There are things I have
come to know and prefer about the way the RedHat systems manage startup and
running software.

I've also used tomsrtbt, and knopix, and linux defender live CD's for various
purposes such as rescuing Windows PC's (with NT filesystems no less), and I
have a distro called Boot'n'nuke that is specifically for wiping hard drives
on decommissioned systems.

I like linux because you can find out just about anything about how things
work and how to fix them, and you are in such complete control of your
environment, you're not running a bunch of spyware that benefits the company
packaged it and their allies.