Critical info (was Upgrading...)

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jan 5 11:56:20 CST 2007

(Regarding the identity config info that's independent of program preferences,
like mail account logins and address book, and their lack of portability.)

On Friday 05 January 2007 11:42, Luke -Jr wrote:
> Perhaps start a FreeDesktop project for creating common configuration
> files. eg, ~/.irc-client or such

I don't think we need binary compatibility; that precludes advances in how the
info is stored.

Perhaps something from the old FIDOnet BBS days would be good - a common
format (XML?) user-readable text file that is read whenever it's
changed/updated and compiled into whatever format a given program uses; and
is updates if changes are made within that program's interface.