Upgrading from FC4 to Kubuntu???

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 4 14:01:31 CST 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 13:27, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO wrote:

>  This is exactly why I keep a separate /home directory.  You can always
> slap it in another system and copy it over or wipe the other partitions
> and reinstall and all your crap is still there.  Some of your dot files
> may need to be deleted, but should still work with newer program
> versions.

This is becoming more of a problem as the GUI takes over a lot of system
configuration and management.  Your mail and address book, IRC information,
IM configuration, and other important things are being stored somewhere in a
hidden filesystem that can get as ugly to find things in as the Microsoft
Registry.  You don't just want to delete it, but you can't trust packages
built by a different distro to handle the existing configs correctly, or to
even put them in the same place.