Backups in a mixed environment

cragos at gmail.com cragos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 03:43:50 CDT 2007

My wife just lost a big chunk of a document she was working on on her
Windows machine.  She wouldn't have lost it, however, if I'd rigged her box
to do a nightly backup to a CVS server or something of the sort on my Ubuntu
box.  I'm going to setup something like that now, but I'd like your
suggestions on just precisely what to use on each end.

Server side requirements:
1: Minimal upkeep
2: Backed up files accessible without much hassle on the server side

Client side requirements:
1: Easy enough to use if my wife wants to make an unscheduled backup or
change the directories/files being tracked
2: Easily scheduled

Ideally:
1: The client side software should also exist or have functional
counterparts available for Linux and Mac OSX
2: The client side automation should run through Scheduled Tasks/run like a
cron job, so that she doesn't have to have yet another permanently
memory-resident application in her toolbar.
3: The server shouldn't require more than one or two open ports
4: The network traffic should be encrypted, so that if I chose to do remote
backups, I wouldn't have to mess with tunneling.

Any suggestions?

PS:  already pointed out Leapord's Time Machine, and got shot down.  No new
Macs for us poor folk.  Might give
http://www.mogware.com/FileHamster/ProductTour/ a shot, though, if I can't
find a reasonable OSS networked solution.

Thanks,
Sean