Smartphone w/ Linux?

Dave Hull dphull at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:51:53 CDT 2007

The presentation looks good, can't wait to see the implementation. I
just recently bought a new phone, but sadly it's not Open or Free. But
my years of living without mobile connectivity were starting to cost
me business.

If carrying this thing pays off, I'll look at upgrading to one of
these next year. Wonder if the major carriers will support it.

On 4/10/07, David Spake <dspake at gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenMoko.  http://openmoko.com/   http://openmoko.org/
>
> LinuxDevices had a nice writeup :
>
> "
> One of the world's largest computer and consumer electronics
> manufacturers will ship a completely open, Linux-based, GPS-equipped,
> quad-band GSM/GPRS phone direct, worldwide, for $350 or less, in Q1,
> 2007. First International Computing's (FIC's) "Neo1973" or FIC-GTA001,
> is the first phone based on the open-source "OpenMoko" platform.
>
> The Neo1973's Linux-based operating system is based on a "2.6.17,
> going on 2.6.18 kernel," according to Moss-Pultz. The graphics
> framework is based on GTK+ 2.x, in conjunction with the Matchbox
> window manager. And, says Moss-Pultz, "We've written our own set of
> widgets that optimize the UI for smaller devices."
>
> The OpenMoko stack currently has a footprint of 64MB, leaving an equal
> amount of space for user-installed applications. User apps can also be
> run from MicroSD cards, which can be found in capacities up to 1GB,
> Moss-Pultz said. "[Linux navigational device maker] TomTom Go did some
> really good work [on SD card support], and we're basing our work on
> their patch set."
> "
>
> Here is a link to their latest presenation
> http://openmoko.com/files/OpenMoko_20061107.pdf
>

> Looks neat as all heck, and I'll be glad to replace my current phone
> in August/Sep/Oct with this one when it becomes available.
>
> Dave
>

> On 4/9/07, Kyle Sexton <ks at mocker.org> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a smartphone/PDA that works well with Linux?  The only
> > ones that I really know of are the Treo's, and Palm OS is getting a little
> > long in the tooth.  If you have a success story or recommendation of a
> > phone let me know!
> >
> > --
> > Kyle Sexton

Dave Hull