Speaking of the Zaurus

cragos at gmail.com cragos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:05:45 CDT 2007

My Collie Zaurus SL-5500 is starting to flake out.  It died/corrupted itself
a while back.  When I reflashed it with Hentges, its root partition was
corrupted again before the week was out.

I'm going to try removing its newer OS and reverting to a circa 2004
openzaurus distribution, since all I really need are madplay, a functioning
terminal, and JustReader.  I really hate the way these new versions of
OpenZaurus et al have gotten so bloated that they need to bleed off into the
CF/SD cards for basic Qtopia/OPIE system files.

I've seen the PalmOS devices that Tom Bruno and Chris Bier carry around, but
the eBook readers on both seem far less functional than JustReader, and the
situation seemed to be even worse for PocketPC/WinCE owners when I was
trying to hook my dad up with part of my eBook collection in '04-'05.
Software issues aside, I've also never seen anything with a screen as large
as a Zaurus, although it's been a while since I was really in the market.

Short of hitting the lottery I'm not going to be able to afford a Zaurus
SL-6000, and they're discontinued anyway.  What's a poor boy to do when all
he wants is something to play MP3s and read eBooks on?  Is there anything on
the market that'll run Qtopia/OPIE-based Linux distributions well?

Thanks,
Sean Crago