The Old Laptop

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 22:42:45 CDT 2007

Yep, been there, doing it again with another one.  I had used a
Toshiba Tecra 8000 w/ a dead battery to run DSL/Ubuntu/Xubuntu/custom
Ubuntu install w/ Fluxbox and it tended to decet most things fine,
except allt he sensors in the system.  A quick install of the Gnome HW
Mon applet and the lib-sensors set, and I could run sensors-detect to
get them found.

Now I'm on to an Armada 7800 (w/ 2hr battery) that doesn't get sound
easily, so it needs the particular sound module loaded though the
/etc/modules file.  I had tried using ndiswrapper to get an old 2wire
802.11g USB dongle working, but it tended to lockup the system, as
your's seems to.  For now I'm just sticking with my old trusty Lucent
chipped Dell TrueMobile 1150.  It's solid and reliable, and I haven't
had a (halfway recent) distro not work with it.  For WiFi on an old
laptop, I highly suggest getting an old Lucent ORiNoCo chipset PC
Card.  They should be very cheap, and be very reliable.

Jon.