Old Computer Book Recycling?

Jared jared at hatwhite.com
Mon Apr 2 13:37:29 CDT 2007

 > > Here I am with a load of books which are no longer
 > > useful to anyone except very tiny niche collectors, so
 > > by handing them off to a library I'm essentially
 > > saying to a bunch of dedicated librarians "destroy
 > > these books for me so I don't have to destroy them
 > > myself."  I don't want that kind of guilt, so I was
 > > thinking of recycling instead.

Don't do their thinking for them. Libraries are in contact
with many more niche collectors than you. Be wise and
take them to a library, where there is a possibility
that some scholar who is researching the "Social Trends
in Early 1990s Computer Instruction Manuals" can find them.

He can't find it in the already-shredded bin of your
local recycling outlet. Leave guilt behind and take up
simple wisdom. Give your books to the library. They might
see a diamond where you see a pile of coal.

I knew a man who was director of a university library
system for years. He gained a degree by walking around the
English countryside studying old chimneys, insightful
remnants of a previous era where everyone else saw a pile
of rocks where a house had burned down. He got a degree
out of it, and is to this day an amiable chap with fine
stories of the English countryside.

I personally am always looking for 1960s-era computer
books which most other people consider to be worthless.

Get them to a library.

-Jared