Polls re: new linux distribution

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 14:55:42 CDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:
> > What architectures / hardware would you support? ppc? alpha? x86 / x86_64?
>
> x86, x86_64; PPC is dying due to Apple's abandonment.

I think a good case can be made for PPC gaing ground in Linux due to
the abandonment.  Ove the next 5 years or so people will be wanting a
modern OS to run on their PPC hardware.  OS X 10.5 (and maybe .6 or .7
if they are nice and keep developing it) will be the last releases of
OS X for PPC and that is the time that all the millions of PPC Apple
machines could use a nice burst of life with a PPC Linux, such as
Ubuntu.  People are already making the jump or testing the waters in
preperation of the EOL for OS X PPC.  Why would a dev want to drop
support for an inceasing user base?  Heck, it took 10 years to drop
support for Amigas in OpenBSD, and they had a much smaller available
user base than PPC Apple machines do.