ITEC Booth is a bit small this year.

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 20:45:23 CDT 2006

This is intriguing.  If no one else is bringing in a
system, there might be just enough space for mine.
Hmmm...  I'll bring it by early tomorrow morning and
if we all decide there isn't enough space, I'll cart
it back out to the car.  Its a PIII-600Mhz, nice but
not essential to my daily life.  It doesn't have a DVD
player but I have the video in OGG format (theora
video codec and vorbis audio codec) and it plays just
fine with a minimum of video artifacts.  The DVD is
unencrypted so it should play in Linux just fine.  It
has a menu with exactly one option, "Play", so you
would need a Linux video player which can do DVD
menus.

They lock the place down and have 24-hour security so
I'm not too worried.  Right across the aisle there is
a 20' x 10' booth with what looks like around 8 PC
systems, so some people there trust security.

I talked to one of the workmen setting up the
Exhibitor Hall (he actually came up to me first and
wanted to know what kinds of Linux we ran) and the
booth is actually about 20' wide by 10' deep.  That
would still mean about 5' wide and 10' deep per booth,
EXCEPT they have us setup with two tables parallel
with the back of the booth, and one table on either
end perpendicular to the back of the booth.
"Independent Computer Consultants <C-something>", or
ICCC, has the table on the left, but his sign is 6'
wide and perched at the back of the booth on his end.
So it is a tight fit all around.  The easel that my
"Free Linux CDs" sign is perched on is a little less
than 3' wide and so is the sign, it might be a problem
that the sign is so big.

I'm not sure why there was an E-mail saying we were to
have a chair and a wastebasket in addition to a 4'
table.  We have the 4' table but a nice staff guy
informed me that they don't do chairs in the Exhibitor
Hall because (I kid you not) "that would encourage
people to sit down in them."  His explanation made
better sense: corporations send people to man their
booths, and corporate representatives who stand
attract more people than if they are sitting.  We can
bring our own chairs (I've got a nice blue folding
chair and a black folding stool) or rent chairs for
$25 a day.