It Just Works! PCI TV card under Ubuntu.

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 22:40:05 CDT 2006

I bought a cheap,old (ca 1996) Hauppauge card at S.E. a while ago. I
didn't install it into a system for so long becuase I wasn't prepared
for the work of getting it recognized and working.  I've read a few
How-Tos of getting various cards going.  Ack! Yesterday I decided I
had the time to play, so I just stuck it into my P3 850 Gateway E-4200
(another  S.E. machine, with an S.E. CPU upgrade and RAM) and powered
it up.  To my suprise it found the card with the BTTV driver right
away, and I didn't do a thing.  I installed TVtime and of the basic
choices, it's the cleaned and best TV program I've used.  Wow!  That
was dang simple.  My wife was even (happily!) suprised to see the
"spare" machine doing something visibly useful.  The only trick was
figuring out which audio input I had plugged it into on my sound card.
 Audio-In is the 1/8" jack, and AUX is an internal header on the card.
 They didn't have any thing going through them and CD is obviously the
wrong header.  I was plugged into the 3rd header and there was an
unchecked option in the Volume Control Prefs called "Volume" that when
unmuted gave me sound.  Great, now I just have to get TVtime to
associate that with the card for volume control, and not the Line-In
which is the external audio line, not the internal header ATA-ATA
audio header.  Odd.

Jon.