JFS experiences?

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:26:33 CDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:
> We are studying B+ trees in CS352 and that has caused me to think about the
> design of some of the file systems in Linux. I have been faithfully served by
> ext3 for quite some time but am interested in the additional performance and
> features offered by some alternatives.
>
> I ran ReiserFSv3 on several servers in the past and was bitten by a number of
> corner case bugs introduced by (pre-Novell) SuSE. ReiserFSv4 is still
> considered experimental by its team.
>
> XFS has gained recent notoriety for losing the data of some prominent Linux
> figures. I remember that in the past few months, at least five people on
> various Planet aggregations said that XFS lost their entire partition and the
> recovery tools did not work.
>
> So, having heard very little about JFS, I'm interested in knowing if anyone
> here has been running it and has any experiences to share.
>
> --
> Jason D. Clinton
> Something clever goes on this line.

The Mac HFS file system is B-Tree based.  It was notorious for losing
file info.  Pre-OS X users swore by Norton Utils and others.  Since OS
X and the Journalled HFS+ and the option of UFS lots of these problems
have gone away/changed.  Now, Norton is "bad" for OS X and most people
seem to rely on fsck.