Linux spyware: Fact or Fiction?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 15:33:42 CDT 2006

Once I finished a reasonable "Known Linux Viruses"
poster,  I thought it would be interesting to create
another poster on the same lines saying "Known Linux
Spyware".  Instead of a list, there would be a big "?"
in the middle of the poster.

To make sure that this was a reasonable claim to make,
I went looking on the Internet for any mention of
spyware for Linux.  Webroot's annual "State of
Spyware" report hasn't listed any, ever, but Wikipedia
makes an uncited claim that there is spyware for Linux
and Mac OS X.

The fact that there are no Linux anti-spyware
applications makes me think that someone is trying out
some spyware FUD on Wikipedia's Spyware entry.  Sure,
there is malware software, and I'm advised to run
"sudo chkrootkits" in Ubuntu forums, but spyware that
just loads itself onto your Linux computer without permission?