Laptop Shopping

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Sun Nov 26 19:28:14 CST 2006

So, I'm planning to buy a laptop.  I started out by looking at the low
end of new ones today at the big box stores, and I thought I would run
some questions by all you gurus out there.  The lowest end of the laptop
market today is so kick ass, maybe it doesn't matter anymore, but here
goes.

I found several CPU's being used in the lower end.  Which one's do you
all like for Linux on laptops:

AMD Turion 64
Intel Core Duo T2050
AMD Sempron 3400

Obviously the Sempron just being a simple 32 bit processor was quite a
bit cheaper, but the 64 bit and dual cores have become pretty price
competitive.  There was also an AMD Turion Dual Core, and the Intel Core
2Duo, but those were in a higher price bracket.  I guess the question
is, would you take a 32 bit dual core over a 64 bit single core, and is
it even worth 200 bucks to go there over a single core 32 bit processor?

Then the other question I would have is did any one go out to the early
sales on Friday and get some great deals that they'd be willing to pass
on for some cash above what they paid?  I'm also not above considering a
used laptop, but with the price/performance of the new laptops today,
can a used one really compete?

Let me just add that I want to do some mobile audio recording, but I'll
probably get a USB2 audio card for that.  Do you think it will matter
what CPU I get for that to work well?

Discuss.

Thanks,
Jim