MapLinx or ESRI Buisness Map OSS Replacement

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:09:57 CST 2006

On 11/16/06, Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know of a guy who has built his own mapping engines and put together
> location data from public sources.  He's pretty busy, but he might at
> least be able to shed light on certains topics if needed.  Shannon
> Larratt has built many location fetures into bmezine.com and it's
> sister sites.  He's also recently gone Linux and runs Xubuntu on his
> laptop.  He's been moving to UNIX from Windows for a while.  He's done
> some really nifty custom work, including a worldwide location mapper,
> etc.

One warning- that link is potentially NSFW!

I am of mixed feelings here- while ANY expansion of OSS  is good,
appearances count too.
Squicking the mundanes so deeply that they consider OSS to be entangled with

the BM set is a risk. Then again- there is a  past example. In an attempt at
image manipulation Edison proposed  AC for judicial executions. , To prove
his DC system as "Safe" and the competing AC system as "Deadly" Edison
purchased alternators and  donated them to prisons for use with electric
chairs. The punch line however being that AC became the preferred current
distribution method- even if only for practical considerations.
So much for political grandstanding and technology playing off against each
other.
Let's hope I am being concerned about nothing.

Oren