Novell Announcment

Jared Jennings jjennings at datatechnique.com
Thu Nov 2 21:16:14 CST 2006

Did anyone see this?

"
Today, Microsoft and Novell announced an historic new initiative.
Important primarily because it means a lot to the communities we serve.
Most notably, our customers. (See full press release).

Let me begin by quickly outlining what we just announced. Microsoft and
Novell, starting today, have agreed to build and market solutions so
that Novell's technology works on Microsoft and vice versa.
Specifically, customers will now be able to run virtualized SUSE Linux
Enterprise on Windows or Windows on SUSE Linux Enterprise. This landmark
agreement also calls for both Microsoft and Novell to provide patent
coverage to each others' customers for our respective products. Why is
that important? It's important because you shouldn't have to spend a lot
of time worrying about legal matters around which operating system to
choose. You also shouldn't have to worry about barriers such as
intellectual property agreements, who owns which patent portfolio, and
indemnification. None of those issues move your business forward. Now
many of those barriers have been removed.

I am also proud that earlier today Novell and Microsoft demonstrated, by
our words and actions, that we can work together for the mutual benefit
of our customers. Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO, was very passionate
and genuine in his support for this agreement. He spoke about how it
will help our customers leverage both the Microsoft Windows platform as
well as our SUSE Linux Enterprise platform. He mentioned how it will
give customers like you choice and flexibility in building their
technology environment. Choice and flexibility, something our customers
often complain are in short supply. We're determined to change that.

I'd like to build on what Steve said, and today I had the opportunity to
make some of these points in person to the assembled press, analysts and
industry experts. This agreement between us and Microsoft is a key
cornerstone to our overall Novell promise to deliver the open enterprise
to you, our customers. One where we can leverage a mixed environment-
with open source and open standards based software- on your behalf. It's
an agreement that will accelerate Novell's stated goal of helping you
reduce cost, manage complexity and mitigate risk.

I titled this a “landmark” announcement, and I truly believe it is.
Transformational in its scope and important to us and our customers on a
number of levels. You may wonder how this changes our relationship with
Microsoft. It's no secret we've competed with them in the past. And we
still will. However, it's also important for us all to remind ourselves
that all organizations, particularly in our industry, need to adapt and
change. Further, for whatever differences we've had with Microsoft over
the years, we actually share a number of the same values. A strong
belief in building customer solutions, and an unwavering belief in the
power of technology and innovation. And now, with this announcement, the
ability for you to deploy the applications you want on the operating
system of your choice for a total solution. All in a way that best fits
your business needs.

This is the beginning of a new and exciting chapter for Novell. We know
you want technology that features interoperability, choice, flexibility,
and sustainability. We know you like to see your vendors working
together on YOUR behalf. In fact, that is what this Microsoft/Novell
agreement is all about. Working together to do a better job for you.

I'm truly excited about this transformational announcement. The payoff
will be better results where it counts most. On helping you grow and
innovate, and in turn delivering on your promise to the communities you
serve.

Best regards,

Ron Hovsepian
CEO, Novell