X Windows Question

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Mar 24 17:38:52 CST 2006

Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Thursday 23 March 2006 17:58, leland sindt wrote:
>> "The DVI/HDCP input is designed for best performance with 1080i
>> high-definition video signals. The DVI/HDCP input also will accept and
>> display 480p and 480i picture signals. Note: This TV is not intended for
>> connection to and should not be used with a PC (personal computer)."
>
> Isn't 480p potentially a computer signal?

480p is approximately (but not quite) standard VGA.  480P video would be
720x480 progressive, vs. 640x480 for VGA.

I wouldn't give up quite yet on getting the monitor to work with your
GPU, but you'll probably have to craft a custom modeline for X.

DISCLAIMER: I don't do much X stuff either, but I know HD pretty much
inside and out (I design video hardware for a living, and am currently
working on a baseband HD card for PCI Express).

Your monitor will likely be happiest with a 1080i HD signal (details to
follow).  In addition to the basic scanning parameters, you may have to
worry about colorspace.  DVI is typically RGB, but the newer DVI derived
specs like HDMI allow YUV in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 modes.  Since you indicated
some VGA resolutions worked (but didn't quite 'fit') with the monitor,
and you didn't mention the colors being all wacked, I'll assume your
toshiba supports RGB.

There are a variety of 1080i HD signal specs, based mainly on framerate
(24 Hz for film, 25 Hz for PAL countries, 59.95 and 60 Hz for NTSC
countries).  Good ol' American 59.95 Hz 1080i would have the following
specs per SMPTE S292M:

Pixel rate: 74.25/1.001 MHz (apx. 74.176 MHz)
Active H pixels: 1920
Total H pixels: 2200
Active lines: 1080
Total lines: 1125

A quick google search turns up the MythTV modeline database, which has
the following entry that looks like it might work for you:

#ModeLine "ATSC-1080-59.94i" 74.176 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088
1125 Interlace

You might also want to try the other ATSC-1080-*i and ATSC-480-* modes
listed on that page, since that's what your monitor claims it supports well.

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net