Polls re: new linux distribution

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Jun 27 16:02:54 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 19:22, djgoku wrote:
> On 6/27/06, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > One goal of Utopios's new package manager is to more or less always build
> > from source, but if it's already been done, use those binaries. Think
> > Portage, but if someone has compatible CHOST/CFLAGS and the same USE
> > flags, it will use their binaries or distcc if they're not done yet. Plus
> > a bit of security measures, of course.
>
> That is one of the reason I got away from Gentoo is compile from
> source all the time take hours on end to update the system

That's presuming you have that single computer compiling everything for
itself. Consider what would happen if all compatible computers worked
together to compile it once (or even a few times, for security checking).
If you and Joe User across the country both need the same build of Apache, why
should each of you need to compile the same thing yourself?

> and something always breaking or possibility of breaking was much higher
> than OpenBSD.

That's not a difference between binary and source package origins.

> I don't care about all the "speed" gained if any at all with CHOST/CFLAGS

CHOST/CFLAGS are primarily about compatibility. The power of source
compilation is in changing the build-time configuration settings.

> I just want it to install and go that is why I use packages and rest is
> compiled ports.

Somebody had to compile your binary packages. This would be similar, except
you have the other users also building packages, and not just your OS's
builders.