Problems Watching TV in Linux

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 18:46:30 CDT 2006

So I have an AverTV Stereo TV Tuner card (the bttv
driver works fine for it).  It is sitting inside:
Debian 3.1_r2, PIII-600Mhz, 256MB RAM, 8MB nVidia TNT2
M64.  17" NEC MultiSync E700.  I want to *watch* TV, I
have no interest in using this setup to *record* TV.

I have xawtv installed (I've tried tvtime too) and I'd
like to get a fullscreen which gives me the largest
possible TV picture.  I'm trying to replace an old 13"
TV which has a fading picture, and I thought "gee, why
spend money when you have all this computer equipment
lying around?"

The problem is that the TV picture on the 17" monitor
is coming in at about 10" diagonally, which is one
inch diagonally smaller than the approx 11" diagonal
picture size on the 13" TV.  While it is neat to have
a PC set up to be the TV, radio, and jukebox (and once
I get HelixPlayer running, a streaming video player
too), I was hoping for a picture a couple diagonal
inches longer than the old TV.

I've been googling for about an hour and all I can
come up with is "xawtv config files for PVRs" without
an explanation of what the changes do, and people who
have asked the same question I'm asking, without
getting a response.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and been able to
make their TV application give you a real fullscreen?
I'm getting tired of the 2" black border around the
"fullscreen" TV picture.