an opportunity in today's KC star

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:09:06 CDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Don Erickson <derick at zeni.net> wrote:
> If sombody were to trojan a keylogger onto the
> machine, then they might be able to tell how someone voted, or even,
> heaven forbid, total up the actual votes  [and determine a number
> that does not match the official results.]

Australia has open-source voting machines...

maybe a petition to congress to amend the voting systems
money bill so it mandates that the funded systems must
have publicly inspectable source code?

Does open-source advocacy, to the mainstream, seem like a fringe
activity of privileged whiners? ("the geeks are trying to grab power")

Composing lucid arguments for mandating open-source ("how far
behind Australia are we willing to lag, in basic freedoms? We cannot
afford to have a freedom gap!") can be fun...

but not in not-here-first KC?

--
David L Nicol
We cannot afford to have a freedom gap!