debian kernels

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 09:33:54 CDT 2005

--- Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 5:34 pm, Jack wrote:
> > I've been trying to compile a specific kernel
> module.
> >
> > So far no luck. So now I'm compiling and
> installing a
> > kernel from sources.
> >
> > All because I want my scanner to work in debian.
> Funny
> > it used to work out of the box in other distros,
> but
> > in debian it is installing some funky wrong
> module.
> > Granted it is a parallel port scanner.
>
> All of the modules that come with stock kernels are
> included with the Debian
> kernel binaries. There should be no need to
> recompile. In the rare event that
> you need third party modules, the Debian package
> "module-assistant" does
> everything for you including setting up the build
> environment and installing
> the module.
Maybe, all the drivers that come with "stock" kernels
are included. Unfortunately for me pt_drv isn't one of
those drivers that come with "stock" kernels.

There is no pt_drv on my system, so I have to do as
the  sane manpage instructs and build it.
I know how to load modules and how to find modules. I
don't compile modules just for fun anymore. I'm past
that point. Also, I've discovered after hours of
f***ing with the debian sources that you need to
install the "kernel tree" also in order to compile a
kernel or modules. What kind of stupid crap is that?
You've got packages for the kernel headers, the kernel
sources and the kernel tree (whatever that is supposed
to be). I've pulled down the latest kernel sources
from Linus and am compiling from there.

[May the debian maintainers live an interesting life
 - from ancient chinese curse]

Thanks,
Brian JD