LiveCD at iTech

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 03:12:41 CST 2005

--- "Monty J. Harder" <mjharder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Next year, I think we need to do a couple of things
> differently.
> 1) We don't even try to do the 6.10 release of
> Ubuntu, because it will by definition be too new
> to know if there are issues.  Instead, if 6.04 is
> solid, we use it, which has the advantage that
> several of us can order bunches of official discs
> well in advance of the event,

I suggest that before choosing to use Ubuntu again, we
scan the Ubuntu forums well in advance on 6.04 to see
if other people have problems like the mentioned
"Enterprise Volume Management System" error.

> and collect them together ahead of time, instead
> of finding out after the show has started that
> people who have promised to bring some are unable
> to make it to the event due to some unforseen
> problem. It can happen to anyone. Last year,
> Chris was in an accident. This year, we had at
> least one person too young to be allowed on the
> show floor.

I suggest that the two meetings before ITEC--to catch
the people who can only show up on a Tuesday but not
Wednesday, and vice versa--be the official planning
meetings for ITEC, and that anyone under 21 who wants
to make CDs for ITEC make them by one of those
meetings and bring them to that meeting.  Chances are
someone going to ITEC will be at one of those
meetings.

> The goal here is to have a good supply of live
> CDs and/or OpenCD (FOSS apps for Windows)
> actually in the hall before the show opens.

Is there a relatively cheap and/or free, preferably
OSS, application for creating those nifty autorun.exe
programs for a homemade OpenCD-like CD?  Seems to me
OpenCD will always be a little behind on its releases,
if we could make up a KCLUG FOSS CD, that would be a
little better for everyone we hand it to.

For example, the current Official OpenCD still has
OpenOffice.org version 1.1.4 on it.  Being able to
hand out an OpenCD-like CD with OpenOffice.org 2.0 on
the CD would be a lot better, especially since it
would have KCLUG info on the CD.