Live CD at iTech

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 02:31:37 CDT 2005

--- mike at handuma.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A person I gave a Live CD to at iTech is having
> trouble booting with it. He
> sent me the following message(see below).
>
> Michael
>

> The Linux Live CD locked up on my XP PC on bootup at
> the following line:
>
> Starting Enterprise Volume Mangement System.
>
> Please let me know if you have any insights/ideas
> about this, or need
>
> more info first.

I found the following on a cached Google page, an
IRCBlog:

  <yaaar>: I've had hoary on my roommates computer
     for about 3 weeks. Working great. I reboot
     just now and it hangs completely at "Starting
     Enterprise Volume Management System"

  <yaaar>: It's just sitting there with a flashing
     cursor under "Starting Enterprise Volume
     Management System..." ctrl-alt-delete does
     nothing, and it's been sitting there for
     6 minutes

  <adamh>: yaaar: If you press keys, do you see
     any response?

  <yaaar>: i tried powering down and up again....
     same thing

  <yaaar>: adamh: yes, keys will come up. i can't
     backspace them, as backspace prints out into
     weird chars

  <jwb>: yaaar: do you actually need evms?

  <jwb>: jwb yaaar: reboot to single-user mode
     and remove evms
     (if you don't need it)

I suspect that the Ubuntu LiveCD may just not work
with some hardware, thanks to evms.  I looked up
cheatcodes for KNOPPIX LiveCD, suggestions for the
Ubuntu LiveCD:

pci=biosirq
     According to the KNOPPIX cheatcode list, this
     is good for unruly hardware.

3
     I'd be interested to see if it boots into
     runlevel 3.

nodma
     Possible theory here, based on some other
     stuff I've read.

failsafe
     Only if nothing else works, does very minimal
     hardware detection

However, there are many people complaining on the
Ubuntu forums that many of the KNOPPIX cheatcodes
don't work on Ubuntu LiveCDs.  The Ubuntu LiveCD may
have been a poor choice as a universal LiveCD to hand
out, despite its inclusion of Windows versions of
popular OSS Software.