OpenOffice.org Bloatware?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 23:20:25 CDT 2005

Saw this on /.

http://slashdot.org/articles/05/10/27/1425232.shtml?tid=185

After spending an entire ITEC exposition extolling the
virtues of OOo, this crops up to claim that OOo has
memory usage issues and very slow startup times.

I'll admit that I haven't used M$ Office all that
much, but I don't seem to notice a significant time
period between running OOo and starting to write a
document or create a spreadsheet.

Has anyone else who uses both noticed the kind of lag
on OOo that the article author describes?

The Slashdot replies also go into the point that most
people have M$ Office already, legally or illegally,
so we can't talk "free" without running up against all
the illegal copies out there which were also,
technically, "free".

One Slashdot reply says that Longhorn will make the
"free" case for OOo by preventing people from running
illegal copies of M$ software.  Does anyone know about
this in more detail?