ITEC Planning [Was: Free Fedora CDs]

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Oct 6 19:31:44 CDT 2005

On Thursday 06 October 2005 11:17 am, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO wrote:
> Better nail down what you want to do.  The ITEC thing is next week.
> Do we know who is going to be manning the booth?  What will be handed
> out?  What needs to be burned, (preferably need to know before the
> weekend so it can be burned and handed off to someone that will be at
> ITEC if necessary)?  What hardware wil be there?  What hardware do we
> need?  Hardware includes PCs, powerstrips, UPS, table, etc.

I won't be there because of other responsibilities but I'm willing to burn a
few dozen discs. I think that we, as a LUG, need to decide which disc set
that is going to be handed out because our audience might be frightened by
being offered three different distro's to choose from; and we burn through
our limited CD resources 3 times faster if we give all three to them. Also, I
think we would be more effective if we only hand out Live CD's. In this day
and age, broadband is dime a dozen; if they are hooked by the Live CD, they
will go spend the 10 minutes to download the ISO.

As far as I'm concerned, the best option for a new user is an Ubuntu Linux
Live CD -- Ubuntu was recently voted best distro in a LinuxWorld magazine
poll. I feel that the Kubuntu Live CD variant is more polished than it's
Gnome counterpart and representative of the best the Linux desktop has to
offer but I'm willing to be argued down on that.

In any event, we need to decide fast. And take a vote or something and do it.

--
I use digital signatures and encryption. My key is stored at pgp.mit.edu key
ID code: "0x8DB3BF09". F: F628 D9D3 E57A C281 5EFE  7DF7 B52A A393 8DB3 BF09