911 Service and VoIP

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 19:22:24 CST 2005

--- David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/19/05, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > Cheap location trick: prerecord your location and
> > play it when the 911 operator picks up before you
> are connected.
>
> so then you have to carry your playback device with
> you whenever you plan to slash your thumb?

Even worse, what if you are at a friend's house (say,
replacing their light bulbs) when you slash your
thumb?  Your fancy dancy prerecording will just send
the ambulance to your home instead of where you are
bleeding to death.

Also, if you can't remember your own address, how can
you remember to hit play on a recording device?  I
seem to remember I didn't have any hands free to dig a
recoding device out of a pocket: one hand was bleeding
and the other was frantically trying to stop the flow
of blood.  I had one finger on the bleeding hand free
to dial the phone.