Suggestions for interview questions

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Nov 17 22:30:58 CST 2005

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 15:04, Daniel Siemens wrote:
> Q.	What is the decimal notation of subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
> A.	/24

I almost always forget if it's /8 or /24... XD

> Q.	What type of DNS record is associated with email servers
> a.    MX /Mail Exchanger  and Reverse DNS   (99% will miss Reverse DNS
> unless they have ran their own mail server)

Trick question. And even those who have run their own mail servers could miss
it, since most people don't have control over those... the answer should
probably note that 'PTR' is the technical term for a reverse DNS lookup.

> Q.  If I build a Ipsec vpn from Site 1 to Site 2 to Site 3, Can I ping a
> host on site 3 from site 1.
> A. No.   Ipsec creates rules to join networks.   Generally you can't
> route traffic between tunnels.

ipsec is a solution... wouldn't it be better to base the questions on
concepts? Personally, I use PPP & SSH for VPNs...