SBC to unbundle local service from dsl

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Nov 17 22:11:34 CST 2005

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 01:05, Leo Mauler wrote:
> --- Garrett Goebel <garrett at scriptpro.com> wrote:
> > Whenever it becomes affordable, I will switch to
> > VOIP for local and long distance voice service
> > through someone like SunRocket
> > http://www.sunrocket.com for $200/year.
>
> About the only reasons I don't switch to any kind of VoIP are 911 service

Riverside has a alternate number for emergencies instead of 911 :)

> (the 911 dispatcher knows where you are with regular phone service but not
> with VoIP),

If you can dial 911, why can't you say where you are? :\

> and the point that phone service doesn't necessarily go out when the power
> goes out, but VoIP service either goes out instantly during a power failure,

Get a UPS...

> or runs out in six hours when the built-in UPS runs out of battery power.

And I'm sure the POTS batteries will never die when the power goes out
either...

> That ice storm a few years back knocked out the power for two days, knocking
> out cable service too (one battery-powered TV).  Phone lines worked fine for
> both days, allowing me to call the electric and cable companies for
> information.

Ouch... two days is much too long for power to be out :(
What did people with electric heating do?