SBC to unbundle local service from dsl

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 19:05:59 CST 2005

--- Garrett Goebel <garrett at scriptpro.com> wrote:

> Whenever it becomes affordable, I will switch to
> VOIP for local and long distance voice service
> through someone like SunRocket
> http://www.sunrocket.com for $200/year.

About the only reasons I don't switch to any kind
of VoIP are 911 service (the 911 dispatcher knows
where you are with regular phone service but not
with VoIP), and the point that phone service doesn't
necessarily go out when the power goes out, but VoIP
service either goes out instantly during a power
failure, or runs out in six hours when the built-in
UPS runs out of battery power.

Everest gets around these difficulties by offering
phone service over conventional phone lines, but
other cable services offer VoIP which isn't as stable
as POTS in extremely bad weather.

That ice storm a few years back knocked out the power
for two days, knocking out cable service too (one
battery-powered TV).  Phone lines worked fine for both

days, allowing me to call the electric and cable
companies for information.